Pension Fund Regulatory
1st Floor, ICADR Building,
Plot No. 6, Vasant Kunj
Institutional Area, Phase - II,
New Delhi - 110070
Tel : 011-26897948/26897949
Fax : 011-26897938
FILE NO: PFRDA/24/12
All Government Departments/Autonomous Bodies
SUB: Issue of family pension / Invalidation pension and adjustment of accumulated pension wealth of government sector NPS subscribers to government.
Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare has issued O.M. no.: 38/41/06/P&PW (A) dt. 5th May, 2009 providing for additional reliefs like invalidation pension / family pension to the central government NPS subscribers / family members of a deceased central government employee covered under NPS on an optional basis wherein the subscriber/family members can either choose to opt for the benefits offered under the referred OM or choose to take the benefits as provided under NPS.However, if the option to avail the family pension/invalidation pension is exercised, the accumulated pension wealth in the account of the subscriber/ deceased subscriber has to be adjusted /transferred to the government account. It has also come to our notice that some of the state governments, state/central autonomous bodies etc are also offering this relief to their employees who are covered under NPS on similar lines.
2. During our discussions earlier with some of the central government departments, we have been informed that there are about 1900 cases wherein the family pension has been paid by various central government departments to the families of those central government employees who were covered under NPS and who are no more alive now.
3.However, there are no communications/intimations from the central/state government departments or those organisations which offer benefits referred in the above OM to CRA /
PFRDA till date, on any such family / invalidation pension paid to the family members of the deceased NPS subscribers /subscribers. As a result, it is very much possible the family members will be availing both the benefits either knowingly or unknowingly on account of lack of knowledge about the rules and regulations in this regard.
4. Owing to the above, since March, 2014 PFRDA is seeking a “No objection” certificate from the nodal office (PAO/DDO) stating that no application for providing family/invalidation pension has been received from the deceased subscriber’s family members/subscriber and that they have no objection to release the NPS benefits.
5. Therefore, in order to streamline the system, we request that complete details as under should be intimated to us on PRIORITY so that the claims can be accordingly marked and governments’ right of recovery duly protected and preserved.
(a) Details of all those cases where applications have been received for payment of family pension /invalidation pension or any other benefit as provided under O.M. no.: 38/41/06/P&PW (A) dt. 5th May, 2009 or any other OM or order providing for such a relief.
(b) Details of all those cases where PAOs/DTA/DTO etc have paid/paying family pension /invalidation pension or any other benefit as provided under O.M. no.: 38/41/06/P&PW (A) dt. 5th May, 2009 or any other OM or order providing for such a relief to the family members of the deceased government servant covered under NPS/subscriber.
The above details may be sent in the attached format.
• Further it is advised that, in case if the state governments/autonomous bodies/other government entities have no such provision on such additional relief providing for family pension/invalidation pension to the government employees covered under NPS, the same should also be specifically informed to us so that necessary process changes can be implemented.
• Also, in case if the state governments/autonomous bodies/other government entities have issued similar instructions on additional relief but where the adjustment of NPS benefits is not mandated, the same should also be specifically informed to us so that necessary process changes can be implemented.
The above information needs to be sent in the attached format(Annexure I) at the following
address and also by E- mail to the following:
1. NPS Claim Processing Cell,
Central Record Keeping Agency, NSDL, 4th Floor,
A’ Wing, Trade World, Kamala Mills Compound,
Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai -4000013
In case any additional information is required or any further clarification is required in the matter, you may contact the following:
PFRDA, New Delhi
Mobile: +91 8447000347