Introduction of Open Text-based Assessment in the Summative Assessment IIKENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN
(Min. of HRD, Deptt. of Education, Govt. of India)
Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg
NEW DELHI — 110016
Tel : 26858566-260, 294, Fax No.26514179
F. 11016/1/2013/KV5 (HQ)/JC (Acad.)
The Deputy Commissioner
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
All Regional Offices.
Sub; Introduction of Open Text-based Assessment in the Summative Assessment II
of Class IX and in the Annual Examination of Class XI, March, 2014: req.
Ref.No. CBSE/CM/2013 DT. 31ST May, 2013
CBSE/DIR (Arti) /OTBA/2013 DT.301bSeptember, 2013 Madam/Sir,
As you are aware, CBSE has introduced an element of Open Text-based Assessment (OTBA) for Classes IX (all subjects) and XI (Biology, Geography & Economics) in March, 2014 Exams. These are meant to incorporate analytical and theoretical skills among students, thus moving away from memorization.
CBSE has uploaded 2 sets of textual material in each of the above subjects on their website on 30.09.13. In this connection, you may note the following for immediate compliance:
1. Issue instructions to all the schools under your jurisdiction to download the material and distribute sufficient copies to all the teachers concerned.
2. The subject teachers concerned must go through the textual material and the instructions issued by CBSE vide their letter No. CBSE/CM/2013 dt. 31ST May, 2013.
3. The teachers dealing with the above 8 subjects (5 in Class IX and 3 in class XI) should sit together, discuss the matter and the related instructions thereof.
4. The teachers should divide the students of their classes into groups and supply copies of material among the groups. The students may be instructed to go through the material, discuss with their peer group, gather more material related to the topic.
5. The teachers should guide them, provide feedback and encourage open response in solving situations. The text also gives some questions as samples. The teachers should develop more such questions which are based on the given text but require answers through application of concepts, further extrapolation, comparison and inference.
6. The Hindi versions of the open text material will also be uploaded very soon by CBSE.
7. The OTBA would cover 15-20% of the SA-11 or Annual exam question paper, as the case may be. While setting the common question paper, the regional office should select one of the OTBA articles/case studies in each subjects from the two supplied by CBSE. The selected OTBA material should form a part of the question paper.
8. Change in the pattern of question paper of SA II for Class IX & Session ending exam for Class XI (2013-14) and distribution- of marks would be circulated in due course by KVS after receiving further guidelines from CBSE.
9. Apart from the five subjects of ClassA IX mentioned above the other subjects viz; Sanskrit, German language etc. would continue, in the earlier pattern with no change.
You are requested to disseminate the same to all Kendriya Vidyalayas under your jurisdiction.
This is for your information and necessary action
(Dr. V. Vijayalakshmi)
Joint Commissioner (Acad)